Have you tried to, or want to, unlock your ZTE with doctorSIM but are having problems?
Unlocking your ZTE via IMEI is the fastest, easiest and safest way to be able to use your phone on any network, save on your monthly bill and increase its resale value.
However, occasionally questions arise during the unlock process. Below we have listed the most common ones and what to do in each case:
1. - My ZTE doesn’t prompt for the unlock code when I insert a SIM card from a network provider different to the original.
2. - My ZTE is locked to T-Mobile or MetroPCS and does not prompt for the unlock code.
3. - The phone accepts the unlock code but has no coverage with the new SIM card inserted.
4. - My ZTE does not connect to the internet.
5. - The unlock code doesn’t work or I get an error message when I type it in.
If you are still unable to unlock your phone, please reply to the email we sent you with the unlocking instructions for further assistance.
1. My ZTE doesn’t prompt for the unlock code when I insert a SIM card from a network provider different to the original.
1.1. Check that the device recognizes the SIM card being inserted:
Verify that the phone prompts for the SIM card’s PIN. This number is a security measure your ZTE will normally request by default (if activated).
If your phone doesn’t prompt for this security number it means the phone is not recognizing the SIM card being inserted, reason for which it neither prompts for the network unlock code.
Make sure the SIM card is correctly inserted inside the SIM card reader. If that doesn’t solve the issue, we recommend inserting a different SIM card to rule out the possibility that the first SIM card is defective.
1.2. The SIM card is recognized but nonetheless doesn’t prompt for the unlock code:
- Check the phone works with the new SIM card inserted. If so, your ZTE is unlocked.
- We recommend restoring the phone to its factory settings. This process eliminates possible errors preventing the phone from prompting for the network unlock code. You can find the option to restore to factory settings under Settings on the phone’s menu.
1.3. If having tried all of the checks above and the phone still doesn’t prompt for the unlock code, it means your ZTE cannot be unlocked via IMEI. If you have any questions and/or doubts, send an e-mail to email@example.com.
1.4. Insert a compatible SIM card and follow the steps below:
- If the card has a PIN, type it in and press OK.
- Type *983*8284#
- When the phone prompts for the PASSWORD, type in the unlock code received.
2. My ZTE is locked to T-Mobile or MetroPCS and does not prompt for the unlock code.
Check you have the Device Unlock Application installed on the phone.
If so, you must make your request using our Device Unlock App Service by clicking on the link below and selecting either T-Mobile or MetroPCS:
3. The phone accepts the unlock code but has no coverage with the new SIM card inserted.
If the phone doesn’t prompt for the network unlock code again it means the phone is unlocked.
Press the Settings icon on your ZTE, find Network operators and then select the Automatic option. If the phone doesn’t register on the network, change to Manual and select the network you want to connect to directly.
If the phone still won’t connect to the network, there are 3 possible reasons:
- The SIM card inserted doesn’t work with the phone you want to unlock or has not been activated for that network. To rule out either possibility, insert a different SIM card.
- Hardware failure. We recommend contacting ZTE’s technical support team for assistance as there could be an issue with the SIM card reader, the phone’s antenna or something else.
- The ZTE’s IMEI number has been blacklisted due to loss, theft or unpaid bill by the original operator. To check if your ZTE is Blacklisted click on the link below:
Blacklists are updated regularly, however it is possible that very recent changes are not included in the report you receive. If your ZTE is blocked, you must contact the original operator to confirm if the IMEI number has been reported due to loss, theft or unpaid bill.
4. My ZTE does not connect to the internet.
To connect your ZTE to the internet, you have to configure the phone for your new network provider. We show you how to do this here:
How to connect your Android phone to the internet
If you still cannot connect to the internet after the configuration, contact your network provider’s customer support team to check that internet service has been activated on your phone.
5. The unlock code doesn’t work or I get an error message when I type it in.
Reply to the e-mail we sent you with the unlock instructions with the following information:
- A photograph or screenshot displaying the IMEI number of the phone (type *#06# on the keypad).
Also check that your ZTE hasn’t been rooted or modified at some point in the past. If your phone’s software has been modified, we recommend restoring the phone to factory settings so it responds correctly to the unlock instructions.
NOTE: If we did not answer your questions or you have a different problem unlocking your ZTE phone, reply to the instructions e-mail we sent you including the message history with a detailed explanation of the problem you are having. In this way, we will be able to locate your request and assist you much quicker.
If you didn’t make your request through doctorSIM, we recommend you click here to request an unlock code for your ZTE. It's the fastest, easiest and safest way of unlocking an ZTE.